When it comes to great skin care habits, it goes without saying that drinking plenty of hydrating water is essential, as is using a good sunblock. But what other habits can you practice to help your skin stay healthy and look its best? Here are a few to get you started.
The Best 7 Habits for Skin Health
- Always wash your make-up off at the end of the day. It’s important to remove the day’s environmental residue and pollution, along with the products you used such as foundations, highlighters, shadows and bronzers. Leaving these on your skin can clog your pores. It’s good to make sure to cleanse regularly to keep your skin healthy. Our gentle and effective Advanced AHA BHA Exfoliating Cleanser is a great place to start.
- Moisturizers are essential in keeping your skin hydrated. They add vital ingredients to your skin and help retain them. This aids your skin’s barrier layer. Not only will your skin look better and have a smoother appearance, you’re also restoring and replenishing the moisture barrier. We recommend one of our moisturizers like the popular Advanced Ultra-Lift Night Treatment which not only helps moisturize your skin, but also improves the signs of aging.
- Choose products with natural and organic ingredients. It’s usually synthetic, lab-created products with dyes and fragrance that irritate the skin. Trust nature and avoid harsh chemicals and pesticides in your products. At Dirran Organic, we care about the ingredients we put in our skincare line, because we want only the best. As an example, our Super Fruit Antioxidant Masque is 99% Naturally Derived and 70% Organic
- Choose the right product for your skin type. If you have sensitive skin, you don’t want to use products created for those with oily skin. If you have oily skin, dry skin products aren’t going to do you any favors. It’s important to understand the differences. Also, as a side note, dry and dehydrated are two different things, even though you hear them interchangeably at times. Dry skin is a skin type. Dehydrated skin is a condition. Dry skin is a lack of sebum, where dehydrated skin is a lack of water. For example, our Daytime Routine for Normal & Dry Skin targets those with normal or dry skin.
- Exfoliation is an important part of your skin care routine. This helps slough away dead skin cells, leaving your skin looking renewed, fresh, and ready to absorb your serum, such as our Vitamin C Stem C-20 Serum. Another aspect of exfoliation is that it keeps your skin clear. If we don’t exfoliate, the dead skin cells stay on your skin and act like glue, clogging your pores. This means that you’re more prone to breakouts. Pimples, acne, and blackheads become a larger issue when you don’t exfoliate those skin cells away. A good choice to help with exfoliation is by using our AHA & Kojic Acid Brightening Cleanser. This not only cleanses skin, but with salicylic acid gently helps resurface your skin while exfoliating.
- Choosing not to overdo it on the treatments. You don’t want to use something harsh, or over apply something like retinol where you can be left with skin sensitivity. Great ingredients can do wonderful things, but some ingredients are better done in smaller doses. For example, a retinol vs a retinoid. Retinoids are too strong for over the counter products and need a prescription. Even when using a retinol, you want to use one product, not layer retinol product over retinol product, or you can damage your skin. It will make your skin too sensitive.
- Lastly, it’s important to get enough sleep. Our skin goes into repair mode as we sleep. Be sure to nourish it well before you go to bed with a masque, serum, or nutrient dense oil or moisturizer and let it absorb to help your skin look its best.